3D Printed Movie Props & Figures
The following are a selection of 3D printed movie props and figures that we have built up over the years.
Big Hero 6
This model was posted onto thingiverse by Mark Elbichon https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1358483
This guy is the main character in the first scene of the movie and was was one of my first major 3D printing projects. Printed on the Fisher Delta it took many hours as the print bed was so small. The segments are all separate and have high power Neodymium magnets are fitted in them, this then holds the robot together. I had to slightly modify the part so that I could have more magnets and make them sit closer to the plastic surface. It holds together reasonably well if left on its stand.
This model was posted onto thingiverse by jsc https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:743050
Warn by the villein of the move and one of the first big prints done on my Prusa I3 MK3. The MK3 has a print bed big enough to allow for prints this size where as the old delta would have had to split it up into too many sections. I spent ages after printing trying to get a perfectly smooth finish, this involved loads of boring sanding and filling (from a distance it looks OK).
Guardians of the galaxy
Both these figures were hand painted after printing.
I researched different ways to pint them and then had to learn how to layer paints up, building up the end effect. One of the final processes is a “dirty wash” where you make a very runny mixture of black and brown. You then apply this all over your lovingly painted figure praying you don’t make a mess of it. At first it looks disastrous but as you wipe away the paint with a paper towel the effect really works. It highlights all the details on the figure and blends in the painting you have done to give a smoother effect.
This design was by MishaT on thingivese https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:32274
My first experiment with clear filament. Looks fairly cool when illuminated with blue LEDs. It could really do with painting up though.
This is a big project. The helmet even on the Prusa had to be printed in multiple parts and then carefully glued together and strengthened. The most time consuming part had to be the finishing, hours of sanding and filling trying to get a nice clean smooth surface.
This design was uploaded to Thingiverse by MIPRESIDENTE and can be found at https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:260152
See the Iron Man Helmet post for full details on this project.